An earworm called “Call Me Maybe” has swept the United States over the past couple of months (major points to Gawker for TOTALLY calling it). The song is, pretty much, the definition of the perfect pop song and its success proves it. Carly Rae Jepsen, the singer of this ballad, is nearly ten years older than fellow Canadian Justin Bieber, but the Biebs spotted her first.
Anyways, the song is pretty awesome and has spurred an unending supply of parody/lip sync/ weird cover versions. Here are the five best.
1) Bieber and Believers: Justin Bieber and his girlfriend, Selena Gomez, apparently had a pretty wild night with some fellow tween stars. They capped it off with this amazing, low quality cover that prompted everything else to be done.
2) Katy Perry: In what has to be the oddest collection of friends ever, Katy Perry sings (and provides hilarious commentary) to the infectious song. Look out for Zooey Deschanel too (apparently she’s famous?).
3) Violin Cover: Don’t know why, but this is kind of fun.
4) Harvard Baseball and Every Other Sports Team Ever: This video now has around 1/8 of the total views of the real video. A bunch of guys from the Harvard baseball team were clearly bored, and prompted EVERY SPORTS TEAM IN THE COUNTRY to record one of these videos.
5) Staples Center Crew: I flag this one because it’s the perfect use of social media to raise awareness of your brand. It’s something fun for the staff that utilizes something everyone is talking about. Oh, and cheerleaders, if that’s your thing.